18.7.10

Henry's birth story...

He decided to wait until the induction to make his appearance which was fine with me. You can stop reading now if you're not interested in birth stories...We arrived at the hospital at 5 and was all hooked up by 6:30. Slowly contractions started coming regularly but with minimal pain. I was a 3 and the green light was given for the doctor to come and break my water...problem was the doctor was no where to be found so we just waited for about 1-2 hours watching daytime television (Let's Makea Deal to be exact - I didn't even know that show was still on but it is!). I wasn't in much pain so it could have been worse - I was just so anxious to meet the little guy! The doctor finally came in and broke my water.

It was literally the next contraction that things started to get REALLY painful! It was then that I realized just how amazingly painless Madeleine's delivery really was. At this point The Price is Right was on - I was trying so hard to pay attention to all the games and put in my 'bids'...anything to make the increasingly painful contractions pass more quickly.

They called for the anesthesiologist and then we waited and waited and waited. About 5 minutes later I was 6 and still painfully waiting for the epidural. After about 30-45 minutes the anesthesiologist FINALLY arrived and gave me the blessed epidural. Spencer had to leave the room for 30 minutes or so while they gave me the epidural and this is when I literally thought I was going to die. And here's a silent shout out to my nurse (I can't remember her name, maybe I never knew it?) who got me through those terrible contractions during the epidural process (not that she had a choice - they kicked out my husband!). With M the worst pain was getting the epidural - with H, ironically, the worst pain was experienced while getting the epidural!



When they finished the epidural I was a 10 and totally knocked out and I mean knocked out!. I felt like I weighed about 900 pounds and literally couldn't even keep my eyes open. It felt like I was hit with a tranquilizer. Strange, but I wasn't complaining - MUCH better than contractions! The doctor came and a couple pushes (maybe 5 minutes) later Henry was here!

Although it was more painful than Madeleine's labor, it was so quick and without complications that I don't have reason to complain. In addition, the recovery this time around has been AMAZING and I've felt great, which has been nice considering it's been one less thing to deal with :)

We've been enjoying this little guy immensely! I had to throw this picture in - the concerned old man look with the wrinkled brow...it's the best picture we have of him with his eyes open (he still loves to sleep thankfully) I love looking into those dark innocent eyes and thinking about all the adventures in life that await him; scary and absolutely mind blowing at the same time.



Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Kristina said...

Henry is SO so cute!! Why in the world did they kick Spencer out during the epidural? Crazy! Glad to hear you are recovering well!

Frances said...

I love that picture!

Kimi said...

You had to wait 'til you were a 6 before the anesthesiologist came?! GEEZ! I'm glad the epidural got rid of the awful, awful pain that are contractions. And So glad that Henry came quickly.

That picture elicited an audible "awwwwwwwwwww" from me. Serious cuteness.

Chatty Family said...

He is adorable! Great job Mom! I know a ten year old who is going to be all over that little guy!

Oriah said...

He's so cute and wrinkly.

Jim and Christina said...

I love the picture. Henry is adorable! SOOO sweet!

the Petterson Family said...

Great Pic!

I have to say that is not the first time I have heard about that doctor taking his time! He is actually so calm, but sometimes that rubs off on the person WAITING!

Janae said...

congratulations, how cute your kids are!!!! maybe by #3 you could do it natural. who knows, you may have one at home accidentally.