I was recently asked by someone what I do to keep myself busy, invigorate my mind and continue learning while I am at home with the kids. I honestly thought the question was a joke and laughed a bit but quickly pulled myself together when I glanced up and saw that it was a sincere question. Seeing my hesitation, my friend stepped up to the plate and mentioned how she teaches classes, watches neighbor kids and takes online classes.
How can I compete with that? I shamefully and hesitantly answered, "...um, I take pictures?" And I said it just as unsure as any punctuation can indicate.
Let's be honest, with two kids under two combined with Spencer's work schedule, I hardly get 10 minutes to myself to shower let alone an hour to go somewhere alone. So here's to taking pictures as my creative outlet or really to just answer an uncomfortable question. This woman was very well-meaning, but I believe she had just forgotten what it's like to have little kids.
Someday I'll have a better answer to the question, but for now the real answer is that my mind is invigorated with problem solving. Let's just go through my problem solving for today... (feel free to shed light on any of these)
why is Henry all of sudden only sleeping for 1-2 hour stretches at night?
why does he have SO much gas?
where did he catch a terrible cold that caused him to lose his voice and be on a nebulizer for a week (he's 4MONTHS OLD mind you)?
how can I get Madeleine to be a deeper sleeper?
should I start rice cereal now?
why won't he take a bottle?
how can I get a wardrobe like Madeleine's?
should I cut Madeleine's hair again?
what am I going to forget to bring on our upcoming utah trip?
am I crazy to think I could go around a foreign city all day with two kids? (possibly more on that later)
should I try to potty train Madeleine or just wait until she's really wanting to do it?
should I cut my hair?
how many diapers do I need for our trip?
did I forget anyone for Christmas? (my ENTIRE Christmas shopping is done! I think...)
where are we going to live in 6 months?
do I need to buy the kids more socks?
That took me about 60 seconds to write all that. I would say I have an invigorated mind alright; it's constantly running with question and answer sessions I have with myself. So yeah, we'll just stick with the "I take pictures" answer from here on out, it's easier. Enjoy the pictures of the cute one. Signing out to go "problem solve"
15.11.10
"...um...I take pictures?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I like your answer! Don't worry, if you forget anything I'm sure we can find it here. :) See you soon!
Oh Mackenzie, I needed this post today! Thank you!!! I usually answer with an "um, I watch some mindless netflix and try not to fall asleep when my baby is awake??" ...not really invigorating, nor do i learn much, and I only have one baby to run after!
You're amazing. AND, your pictures are SO great!!! :)
I think your answer doesn't totally reflect all that you do do. :) But there definitely is a time and a season for everything and taking/teaching classes and watching other people's kids isn't necessarily anything I would want to compete with... or do all the time :)
One thing I've learned in the past year is that busyness isn't better... and taking time to chill, snap pictures, and do the simple things is the best... so I think you are doing exactly what you should be doing!!
PS- we loved the presents for Caitlin and Andrew thinks his baths in colored water are the coolest ever
we should talk...we have been through at least half of the questions you've had in the past three weeks
Post a Comment