7.12.10

ode to the tree

I wish I could relay stories in a more concise manner, but this is what you get...take it or leave it.
I wanted to make sure we got our tree early this year to give us enough time to enjoy it. I talked it up to Madeleine and got her excited by telling her that we would go get a tree when daddy got home from work. Coincidentally when we picked Spencer up from the train station, as if on cue, Madeleine pipped up, "get Christmas tree with daddy...yeah, christmas tree!". Perfect. Who can resist that one?

I wanted Spencer to put on his favorite plaid shirt, throw on a fur hat, grab an ax, and pull the kids up the mountain in our vintage Radio Flyer wagon to cut down our perfect tree. So many things about that wouldn't have worked so we opted for Home Depot instead - talk about a complete 180.

Due to the freezing temperature and brutal wind, we quickly picked out the perfect tree 'Henry' tree (tall and skinny) and headed to the car. I got the kids in the car to try to warm them up while Spencer worked his magic (no plaid shirt or hat mind you) getting the tree on our car. Now, for those of you who know Spencer you know that Spencer does just about everything by the book; reads ALL the instructions; thinks EVERYTHING through; extremely rational; and does things right the first time, ALWAYS. So, with that being said, Spencer got out all the things he brought to secure the tree on our car and went to work looping the rope multiple times around the tree and through the windows in the car over and over again. Despite the tree being bigger than our car (seriously) the tree wasn't going anywhere.

Finally when Spencer had checked everything over he went to get in the car and he had roped all the doors shut! It would have been tyipcal and rather annoying if I had done it but the fact that Spencer did it - HILARIOUS. We were both laughing so hard. After a few attempts to climb in the window he was finally victorious utlizing the 'head first' method. So picture us in the Home Depot parking lot, huge tree on top of a little car and tall Spencer trying to get himself in the car, quite the sight.

No ax, red and black plaid shirt, vintage radio flyer wagon or mountain views - but for us it was a unforgettable 'First Christmas Tree' memory, surpassing expectations. Sadly, no camera or video camera for that matter.

Back to our precious tree. The kids LOVE it! I lay Henry on the floor and give him about 60 seconds and he's rolled over to the tree compeltely captivated by the lights. Who needs toys?

Madeleine, well her love for the tree is even stronger; Keeper of the Tree is an understatement. She can't wait to turn the lights on and every time reacts as though it's her first time seeing it.

She says goodnight to the tree, pats it like she does with Henry and keeps a faithful watch on the tree anytime she's not sleeping. The other day she saw me putting water in the tree and the look on her face was begging for an explanation. I told her that the tree was thirsty so we have to give the tree water. She now faithfully helps me give water to the tree everyday. She takes this responsibility so seriously that today I caught her sharing her milk with the tree...and as she was trying to dump out her sippy cup into the tree stand she was having a converstaions with herhelf saying outloud, "christmas tree thirsty? oh, I'll help you. cold milk. that's sooooo yummy. thank you sweetheart" I forsee some imaginary friends in our near future. Tomorrow we may need to have another talk about the tree's needs.

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

the Petterson Family said...

Oh my word! Connel and I were laughing so hard as I read the Christmas tree story!!!

Kimi said...

Beyond wonderful story. Seriously! I love that you have a real tree! (Ours is fake.....) And M's talking to it? Priceless. Oh, and I'm loving the pictures. As always.

Katie said...

can not get over how hilarious this was. seriously dying right now!

Leanna said...

too precious! I love seeing the pigtails in that last photo. It is darling!

Spencer said...

Oh come on, you guys don't really believe the tree story do you? Who ropes the doors shut? Seriously...

Oriah said...

Makes me laugh every time. And I love that she loves the tree so much!

Adi said...

That is such a great story! i love it.

Frances said...

It really is too bad there were no pictures of the car.

adam and erica said...

So cute of kids!! I could eat them up!! I can't believe how big Henry is already!! Merry Christmas!