26.1.11

Top 6 Madeleine-isms this week

#1
how about the time at the grocery store when an old woman came up to Madeleine and said something to the effect of, "you're so cute" only to be greeted with a grumpy scowl from Madeleine. The old woman replied, "oh poo poo" and walked away. Madeleine promptly and adamantly responded in a very serious/correctional tone,

"DON'T EAT POOPY DIAPERS! Only eat food!"

oooookaaaay?? We've never had an issue with eating diapers so not sure where that came from.

#2
we were at Target (we love the place and it's literally less than a 1/2 mile from our house) and as we were wandering around the kids clothing section I hear her say, "There's Jesus! Jesus is flying! Whoooooooaaaaa! Jesus is in the sky!" I look over and see a picture of this guy...and one of him doing this...





and then I put it together. Ha! One of the funniest M moment in a long time.  Don't worry, I corrected her

#3
we recently had her 2 year-old well visit at the doctor's. I told her she was going to get a shot and it would hurt just a little but right after she could get a sucker. Suckers work magic in this house. Remember this sucker experience??

The nurse came in to give her the shot, Madeleine was on my lap and the sucker was unwrapped just waiting right next to us. To distract her from the oncoming shot I told her to start singing the ABC's.

"A-B-C-D-E....OUCH! that hurt me! You should probably go to time-out!"

She grabbed the sucker, popped it in her mouth and not a tear was shed. The nurse went out laughing so hard and told everyone what just happened. When we came out of the room Madeleine was quite the celebrity among the doctors and nurses.

#4
Spencer got me a flip for Christmas and I've been having so much fun with it. Too bad I didn't catch any of the above experiences with it! BUT, on her birthday while opening presents we did manage to catch this memorable moment...



what can I say? she's very into personal hygiene

#5
Last night we were out running errands, it was dark, late and I was having a conversation with Madeleine while I nursed Henry in the car in an empty parking lot (whatever works, right?).  When I was done feeding Henry I was looking for my phone and could not find it anywhere.  Spencer is out of town, I'm in a dark parking lot, no one around and I'm phoneless. 

Probably not that big of a deal but I start to panic. I rely on my phone SO much - it's my alarm clock, I sleep with it in my hand, it's our home phone and most importantly it's my contact with the outside world, other adults and Spencer when he's traveling (frequently).

It's almost bedtime and I'm not about to go back into every store retracing my steps so I try to calm down.  I go outside in the 14 degree weather, check the stroller in the trunk, look under my seat and feel along the floor: nothing.  I tell Madeleine we need to say a prayer to Heavenly Father and ask Him to help us find my phone. 

At this point I'm thinking, what a great teaching moment for Madeleine, she can learn that we can pray when we need something and not just over food or before bed.  She loves saying prayers and often says them by herself.  I started saying the prayer and she's muttering and repeating the phrases along with me "...and please bless that we can find Mommy's phone..."  She repeats, we end the prayer and I look back in my rear-view mirror and see an image similar to this one
WHAT? I started laughing and asked her what she was doing, she responded, "talk to Heavenly Father to find Mommy's phone"   I have absolutely no idea how it ended up in her hands but there it was!  She continued 'talking' to Heavenly Father on the phone all the way home :) 

#6
Bath time is exciting in our house - besides doing push-ups and blowing bubbles in the bathtub, playing wtih cups, splashing, and playing with Henry, Madeleine also loves that after a bath she can clean her ears by herself (using the baby q-tips).

A couple days ago I was changing Henry's diaper and Madeleine was fumbling around in the kitchen.  All of the sudden I hear, "I need to clean my ears...want to clean Henry's ears too?!"  I put Henry back together again and then go into the kitchen to find this...

not exactly a 'proud mom moment'

And there you have it.  Her first week of being 2 and there's some serious spunk oozing out of this girl.  Henry and I just sit back and watch.  She keeps me on my toes and laughing...couldn't ask for anything more.

Oh and I lied, #1 happened a few weeks ago but the rest really did happen this week.

6 comments:

Abigail Clark said...

i love toothpaste and deodorant!

Adi said...

Those are the greatest stories. Thank you for providing me entertainment during my economics class.

Way to remember those stories before you forget them.

Andrew and Ariel said...

What a couple of cuties! Thanks for saying hi! We'll be glad to keep tabs on you guys.

Jennifer Ellis said...

Kenz, that was awesome. I laughed so hard. I love that she has so much personality. It would be really interesting to see M and Clara together. In fact, it might even be a little dangerous....

the Petterson Family said...

That girl has the BEST personality! Deodorant! Toothpaste!...seriously and the phone moment...Oh. my. word.

Unknown said...

Kenz, I LOVE this. I have told so many of my friends about the Shaun White- Jesus confusion. SO hilarious. Love reading your blog -- I can just hear you laughing and telling these stories.