The day we had all been waiting for finally came. The excitement for all of us was only second to the day Amelia was born.
School. For BOTH of them. Ahhhhhh!
We all could hardly contain ourselves. Mentally I had been telling myself all summer that our real life would start with the school year. A routine, a schedule means a sane mom.
I had big expectations for preschool but I also had reservations. And different reservations from last year. Last year I worried about Madeleine being too outspoken or commenting about differences in religion and beliefs, or simply being too dominating in class. I never once was concerned with her behavior towards other kids or teachers.
This year I worry about Madeleine making new friends and not being disappointed things are different than PCNS. Big shoes to fill, ill give her that.
My worries for Henry are longer and more complicated. For the past 6 months, Henry's behavior, responses and overall demeanor have been off. I keep telling myself its a phase but this one seems to be a loooooong phase. Combine a natural phase with a big move and new baby and you have one crazy kid.
I worry about him being kind to others and I worry about him push the patience of the teacher. As I left him the first day of school I tested up just mentally begging that teacher to give him the love he needs. "Love him through it" is the phrase that I've had come into my mind multiple times when I've sad and pondered about different methods of parenting for him.
My worry for Henry was about 10x more than I concerns for Madeleine. Maybe that's not fair but that's the truth.
The first day (pictured above) was an open house where you go in, meet the teacher, get acquainted with the facilities and gear up for the first day.
The kids were totally disappointed when they realized it wasn't a 'real' day of school.
9/11/13, their first day, we arrive and the kids practically ran away from me into school they were so excited.
As far as my concerns go (after the first week), Henry is thriving and being managed quite well. Madeleine hasn't been her bubbly self quite yet as she's still getting used to things but they're both thriving.
We now come home and the kids tell me what they did during the day and it turns into a competition and one inevitably ends up crying because their class didn't do that activity or make that art project. Still adjusting but we'll get there.
Although its early, I already feel preschool will do amazing things for our family this year. Last year preschool was magical. This year will be different but I believe and hope equally as fantastic.





1 comment:
Having a boy amongst many girls I completely understand your worries about Henry. When Andrew started kindergarten I went into the teacher (who had had all of my girls) and warned her how different Andrew was, and to please tell me if/when he gets into trouble. And I have pretty much done this with every single teacher he has had since. Every single teacher tells me they cannot believe that Andrew acts so differently at home than he does at school, that they have never seen any of the behaviors I described. I also remember lamenting to my sisters-in-law (who each had a boy 6 years older than Andrew) that I was positive I was raising a sociopath. They continued to reassure me that it's just how boys are. Even now I still wonder...but I do think that there is just that inherent wild craziness in boys that we just don't understand, especially when we start off with a girl (or three). After almost 12 years, that wild craziness is still there, but also after all this time, I am pretty certain that for the most part it is confined to unleashing itself in our home and not in public. It doesn't make things any easier at home, but I am not as worried that I will have to bail him out of jail (or even the principal's office) anytime soon. Henry has had a lot of changes in his life on top of his boyness, and I'm sure some of that stress is manifest in his behavior at home. But school is and will continue to be a wonderful thing for your kids, and it will be amazing to watch. Hope you all can feel a little more settled and relaxed soon. Love you guys!!
Post a Comment